Sunday, November 13, 2011

Surprise!

I stayed home from work today because I wasn't feeling well.  I was off the previous two days for my "weekend" and yesterday was mostly spent in bed.  Today my boyfriend wanted me to get out for some fresh air so he dragged me to a bookstore and then to the nursery next door to the bookstore.  Well, they had African Violets there.  They had the exact same NOID that I have sitting in my home that I waited more than a year for a bloom on

and a few other very beautiful violets that I thought were also NOIDs...



I say "thought" because then I saw one that was unmistakable.  Even though there was no tag with it, there is absolutely NO mistaking...

FROZEN IN TIME!!!
Frozen in Time (9167) 02/03/2003 (Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses/Sorano) Single-semidouble white star/variable lavender tinge; green edge. Variegated light green and ivory, quilted. Standard


Yes, I bought the plant immediately!  lol  I also got the name of the nursery where they get most of their plants and I've checked out their "currently available" list.  This place lists each plant with their actual name, so I'm very hopeful that I can get the name of my lovely pink NOID.  Another woman that I know brought home Anthoflores Little Axel from this same nursery.  Very exciting day, even amidst the aches and pains of whatever flu bug that I'm dealing with right now.






The plant has now been disbudded and put into isolation.  I saw no signs of thrips on any of the violets but you can never been too sure.  Also, you can't see mites with the naked eye and there were LOTS of cyclamens in the nursery today, even if they were in a completely different room.

You can see a touch of lavender in the lower blossom.





Here's a look at a Frozen in Time that I saw a month or so ago.  Because I'd seen this plant in person and it's such a distinctive look, I was able to make a positive ID on this one.  
This plant is grown much nicer than mine is but mine will straighten out with time. :)






3 comments:

  1. They are beautiful! I bought a couple of noid's at Lowe's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen in time is very nice! Looks like snowdrops :)

    ReplyDelete