Monday, September 12, 2011

Richter's Iris

Woot! I have lots of leaves with babies starting but the one that I'm most excited about is Iris, another very rare Richter hybrid! I have three leaves and all three have babies! Hopefully they all grow up into nice big strong plants!


Iris (792) 08/05/1956 (F. Richter) Double light blue double. Quilted. Standard


This photo was sent to me by the woman who sent me the leaves.  I can't wait until my babies look like this!

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa307/DebsVioletRoom/African%20Violets%20I%20Grow/Standard%20Violets/IrisPlant.jpg

Here's the story of her plant:
"I bought plants, plugs, and leaves from Drew's African Violets several times before he went out of business. I received 1 single leaf of Iris in April 2008. I have a room where I isolate and start my new leaves and plants. I had some major surgery a couple of years ago and got behind in my violet work. My "Violet Room" turned into the "Jungle Room." I thought about dumping everything in there into the trash to start fresh but just couldn't make myself do it. I am so glad I didn't! I have found several vintage and rare ones in my jungle trays. One single Iris plant was growing in what started out as a leaf pot. It was back in the back corner of a tray and I noticed it when it put up a bloom stalk. I started trying to find someone who has it or even pictures of it. I have not been able to find anybody who has it. It bloomed single the first time so I wasn't even sure it was what it was supposed to be. But lo and behold the next time it bloomed...wow."

http://www.candysviolets.com/richters_violets.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment